History of the real estate
Numerous villas, most of them from the Wilhelminian era, surrounded by spacious, often park-like gardens, contribute to the Harvestehuder Weg’s reputation as a luxurious location in Hamburg.
Several buildings were erected on plot No. 36 over time; in 1920 by Otto Blohm, a cousin of Walter and Rudolf Blohm (who owned the shipyard Blohm + Voss) and his wife Magdalene. To distinguish it from other residencies of the Blohm dynasty, the house was named “Villa Blohm III”. Here, Magdalene and Otto Blohm built their legendary porcelain collection „The treasures of the Harvestehuder Weg“, which is now partly owned by the Hamburg Museum for Art and Industry. The Villa Blohm III was damaged during the war but remained inhabitable. From 1948 onward, shipyard owner Rudolf Blohm had to share the villa with the film dubbing recording studio Rhythomoton on instruction of the British occupying forces. During the 1960s, the Allianz insurance company was housed in the building. In 1965, the building was demolished and new apartment buildings were erected on the plot.
In 2009, the Peach Property Group AG acquired the area and the history of H36 continues.